Thursday, January 19, 2012

Youth Baseball Catcher's Gear-All-Star Youth Baseball Catchers Helmet/Mask Combo CHM2001Y Catcher's Helmet

I'm new to baseball with my boys, we've always done football, but my 9yr. jumped in there feet first with no background to kid-pitch little league. Of course, he was soon appointed catcher, which requires the most gear. What the association provides is a helmet/combo but, he's unable to toss it off to scramble for a ball, cover a base, find the ball, because he wears glasses and the whole helmet %26amp; glasses come off. I think the helmet I mentioned above has a hinge to flip up the cage after the ball is in play, but can't tell from pictures and description. Do they exist? I don't want to spend a lot of money on one, but it just makes sense that they would exist and the pictures are not helpful. Anyone out there that knows what I'm talking about and can help locate? I'd rather buy locally to make sure it fits, season's half way over, I don't have time to be jacking with mailing back and forth. I just need confirmation it exists and if anyone knows of a national chain that carries?Youth Baseball Catcher's Gear-All-Star Youth Baseball Catchers Helmet/Mask Combo CHM2001Y Catcher's Helmet
Hey Dad, I call quite a few 9 year old games (also work up to the NCAA level). I see quite a few catchers wearing glasses with no trouble. The mask /combo your are speaking of has the full helmet, but the back part is kind of a "skull cap" and held on with elastic straps. I have never seen one wth a cage that flips up, and as an umpire wouldn't allow it. The mask must be (by rule) securely fastned to the hemet, and a hinged cage doesn't sound as if it meets that.



He will be fine using that, (the All-Star) and in youth leagues (even HS) must have the full ear flap protection. It will take him some practice to learn how to pull the mask quickly, but it will come. First, be sure the straps are not too tight, just enough to loosley hold the helmet in place. You don't want it tight, it will transfer the force more than if looser. To remove the mask, taech him to grab the lower part of the facemask, and pull straight out, then up and the glasses will stay put. You can even pull it that way and keep a hat on also!



Way to go son! Baseball is a fun game. I played my first as a nine year old in the 60's. The coach asked me what position I played, and the only two I knew were pitcher and catcher! I knew I didn't want to pitch, those guys are nuts! so I said confidently, "I'm a catcher". That's the only position I ever played all the way through college.



Anyway, check the sporting goods stores. You may have to shop a bit, but you will find one to his liking. All-Star is a very common brand, and usually very in expensive. You could try a Yahho, or Google search for All-Star, but you can't try on a mail order helmet before you buy.Youth Baseball Catcher's Gear-All-Star Youth Baseball Catchers Helmet/Mask Combo CHM2001Y Catcher's Helmet
I have never seen a flip-up catcher's mask, but i can't rule out their possible existence. go to baseballexpress.com they may have what your looking for or be albe to help you find it.



but i would recommend this...either get your son perscription sports goggles, cause they have the elastic strap around the head to prevent them from falling off. or get him a hockey style mask. with this mask there is really no need to remove it because it provides a greater field of vision.
  • pontoon boats
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment